There are two sides to search engine optimization (SEO). They are on-page SEO and off-page SEO and simply put the on-page SEO includes elements on your website or web page and the off-page has to do with back links that you will get to your site.
You will also want to read this post about Off Page SEO Techniques
1. Determine your keywords – Using the Google external keyword tool or software like Traffic Travis you can create a list of keywords relevant to your business. Think about which keywords or phrases are the most likely to get people to do what you want them to do and focus on those keywords. Once you have your list and using Traffic Travis you will want to create a webpage that focuses on that keyword or phrase.
2. Create a web page with keyword emphasis – The goal of everyone is to get better rankings to list high in the major search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. With this in mind you must be careful to not get involved with duplicate content. Google bots are intelligent to find duplicate content and the site that is older will be minimized in Google’s ranking. You also need to make sure you have valuable content. With that in mind you should have the keyword that you want to rank for in the search engines in the page’s content at a percentage of 1-4%. For example, if you have 400 words on your page you should have the keyword present 4-16 times. This is one of the most important tips for SEO.
3. First 50 words in the body – There is software that grades a page’s potential for ranking by determining a number of on-page values. My favorite tool, mentioned below grades your site’s SEO potential by making sure your keyword or phrase is mentioned once within the first 50 words of the body text.
4. Keywords in Page URL – When possible putting the keyword in the page name of the website is valuable. Google and other search engines consider the text in the page name to determine what the web page is about. One great thing about WordPress is that you can set up the permalinks for SEO and there is also a slug plugin that will improve your on-page SEO.
5. Keywords in Page Title – The Page Title is one of the most important things that Google and other search engines evaluate to determine what is on a web page. Your keyword or phrase must be in the title of the web page.
6. Keywords in the Description – Part of your meta tags includes your website’s description. When it comes to tips for SEO this is another one that you need to follow.
7. Keywords in your H1 tag -The H1 text is usually the title of an article or some larger bold text at the top of your page. Google and the smaller search engines can see this and they put extra importance on the words in the H1 text. Make sure your keyword or phrase is there.
There is a fantastic software package that performs an online analysis of your web page and makes sure it has all the tips for SEO mentioned above. It then grades your website from F – A+. If your website gets a low grade there is a tool that will report to you what needs to be done to improve the score. Another component to this software is that you are able search for a keyword and know it’s value. It will report to you if it is easy to dominate or not.
You can download Traffic Travis now or learn more about it below.